Tuesday, June 8, 2010

You Are Young

I can say that, you know.  I can say that without even knowing you.  I can even say it knowing you are 95-years-old.

Most of my readers know me and know that 9 out of every 10 vacations I take are to Disney World. (Where my Hannah Montana socks fit in.)  It’s no secret that I’m quirky and I’ll be the first to tell you that I feel right at home where you’re encouraged to channel your inner believer.  I work hard.  I pay a mortgage.  I understand business.  I negotiate contracts.  I wear a suit.  But I find myself balancing these things with my own type of pixie dust.  A certain dream.  A certain bibbidi-bobbidi-boo.  I am young.

I’ve recently had the privilege of taking off my Mickey ears and climbing out of my box to take a trip across the world and visit places I never thought I would.  This past Sunday, I returned from visiting Rome, Sicily, Turkey, Athens and Crete.

I found myself standing in the middle of certain settings that I’ve read about in text books, searched libraries for in order to complete elementary school projects, tested on in high school and watched TV specials on before James Bond-ing the remote out of Chris’ hands while he was sleeping to change.

I was where the Virgin Mary lived, where the first Olympics were held, in the Colosseum and Pantheon, walked through the Acropolis and climbed up ancient amphitheater steps in the ruins of Ephesus, Turkey.  Even through Chris’ pretend gladiator fights, I took advantage of some silence.  I learned so many things on this trip to Europe but one thing stood out the most.

I am young.

I have so many friends and family members re-evaluating their lives at so many different ages and it’s so motivating.  A family member of mine went back to work after not working for 25+ years.  I have friends making the decision to go back to school.  I graduated college sitting next to a 60-year-old woman who was so excited for her new life to START.  You won’t live forever but it’s so refreshing to know that as long as you’re living, you’re young.

And even though I’m young, the longer I live… the more I realize that attitude has an impact on the life I live.  It’s been said before, but nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.


2 comments:

  1. love it! I am glad you had such a good time traveling the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! True for you as well as all of us. So happy you experienced the "old world" with your "young heart and attitude"!!!

    ReplyDelete