Monday, April 5, 2010

Under Construction

Each of us is carving a stone, erecting a column, or cutting a piece of stained glass in the construction of something much bigger than ourselves. - Adrienne Clarkson

Sometimes I have to remind myself (and others) that I am always under construction – on purpose. My career is a work in progress, my relationships with friends and family are a work in progress, my home is a work in progress, my body is a work in progress, my beliefs are a work in progress and how I feel about myself is a work in progress.


Sometimes having a vision session let’s me explore myself and opportunities that might be available to me. Even though I do talk to myself often, (Really, Sarah? You’re admitting that?), writing this blog is forcing me to take a look at certain areas in my life that I wouldn’t normally. Even if not many people are listening – I’m forced to talk. And I’M listening.

I always consider “closed-mindedness” one of the biggest shames. How can you close yourself off from learning? How can you WANT to believe that you already, truly do know everything? I have learned not to shut off from being exposed to other talent. It’s true; you can rise no higher than your lowest opinion of another.

I have to admit – there are times I believe I know everything (who, me?!) Most of these times occur at home and result in a very uncomfortable night on the living room couch… (I really do need to work on my big mouth). Nothing good ever comes from behaving that way. Not at home, not at work and not around friends. I do my very best to surround myself by incredible talent as I find that it betters me.

My friends and family leave me motivated every day. Some are teaching children the English language on the other side of the world, some are educating the world (me included) about a very serious and rapidly growing auto-immune disorder and lifestyle change, some are running marathons, some are knee-deep in half dissected cats on their way to being nurses, some are fighting for justice and some Merengue Marches are just so much better than mine. If I wasn’t always “under construction,” what would I be doing?

These thoughts came to me as I registered for two very important “Sarah Leddy Construction Projects.”

This June, I will be joining my industry colleagues as I attend the 21st Association for Accounting Marketing Summit held in Washington, DC. Here, I will be attending workshops on strategies for business development, refocusing your firm for the rebound, niche development, client retention, branding and more.

Two months after that, I will be making friends and dancing through a Salsa and Merengue Mashup, Belly Dance Arabian Nights, Brazilian Carnival and Caribbean Heat workshop at – you guessed it – the 2010 Zumba Convention.

All areas of my sometimes crazy, enjoyable, educational, baffling, hair-pulling but totally-worth-it life are constantly under construction. I may not walk around decked in yellow warning tape but hopefully this will help explain the socks. Until next time friends.

How do you work to improve your groove?

1 comment:

  1. Nicely done. All things we should be thinking of and improving upon in ALL areas of our lives.

    ReplyDelete