Thursday, April 1, 2010

If You Want It, Have It

“To get something you never had, you have to do something you’ve never done.” – Unknown Sarah Leddy (Hey, I’m an adopter.)

I recently crossed this quote sifting through my streams of tweets. What simple wisdom for a complex life.

There seems to be a common theme amongst many of my family, friends and business colleagues today. Maybe it’s the economy. Maybe it’s cabin fever. I bet you can relate. Many people I’m surrounded by are feeling stuck, bored, frustrated or in a lull. Some aren’t completely unhappy with their current lives or jobs, but are just questioning that there’s something of greater significance out there. It could be new adventures, new connections, new relationships, new careers, new hobbies or just new opportunities. It’s healthy to question and I commend you for doing it.

The truth is, you’re not going to get any of these things doing what you have always done. I bet you’re your own worst enemy. “I’m comfortable.” “I’m too busy.” “Maybe when the economy picks up.” Get out of your head. All of these things are within your reach.

If you know me at all, you know that I do not use, nor do I understand cliché’s of any kind. (Don’t put all your eggs in one basket? First of all, I’m not pushin’ around two shopping carts. It’s hard enough walking straight. If I start taking my eggs out and shoving some in my basket, some in my pockets, some in my handbag and some in my nose - I think there’s a much better change they are going to break. My nostrils aren’t very big.) … I digress … I have to use one or two sometimes. There’s no better time than now and it’s never, ever too late. How’d I do?

This past November of 2009 I was working full time for
www.withum.com as I am now. I was planning “Client CPE” events, developing our Government Services and Real Estate Services niches and supporting two offices in their various marketing practices. OH, I was also planning a wedding for the next month. I was busy. Busy being a professional, a fiancé, a daughter, a friend, an aunt and a crazy lady. But something was missing.

It was that month; I decided to get certified to teach Zumba. I had been taking the classes to shape the girlish figure for the big day and recognized how I felt each time I showed up for that class. I knew what I wanted and soon, showing up wasn’t enough. I had never been a professional dancer, I had never been a fitness instructor, I had never instructed classes of any kind and I had never worked more than one job at a time. I had to challenge my beliefs of what I was capable of and I had to let go of the fear I had of investing in something new. Investing. Future…

This one decision has had an immense ripple effect on my life. This one decision has transformed my attitude and my energy. My energy gets applied to everything I do in life. (Family, WithumSmith+Brown, my friends, my hobbies, my health.)

It is today that I ask you to challenge yourself to get what you want and have never had. As my favorite actor once quoted, “It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. The hard… is what makes it great.”

Although scary, I do promise it is worth it.

1 comment:

  1. love your blog sar. and love this post.....

    I MOVED TO KOREA. its what i wanted and never had.


    love you!

    ReplyDelete